This article from www.thelocal.es is in English but it's such a great way to get students discussing stereotypes that I'm including it here anyway!
- Get students to make a list of as many Spanish stereotypes as they can. How do they view the Spanish?
- Then give them the list of stereotypes mentioned in the article. How many of these match their own list?
- Now ask them to decide if they think the stereotypes listed are true or false.
- You could then give them the link to read the article themselves, in class or for homework, to see if their predictions were correct.
- As a follow-on discussion, you could ask how justified you think the newspaper's answers were, or whether these just reinforce stereotypes even more!
- Spaniards live at home for far longer than their European counterparts.
- Spaniards are all lazy.
- Spaniards love bullfighting.
- Spain is all about sun, sea and sangria.
- Spaniards do everything late.
- Spaniards are really loud.
- Spain is a tourist's paradise.
- Spain stops for a siesta.
- There is lots of corruption in Spain.
Answers according to www.thelocal.es!
- More false than true!